The importance of clean and well exfoliated skin has long been the emphasis of most advanced skin care routines. Without exfoliation skin builds layers of dead cells, harbours acne causing bacteria, and gradually reduces the rate at which it renews, leading to aging and pigmentation changes. Skin peels are one of the most popular aesthetic skin treatments due to the ability to provide controlled depth exfoliating alongside directed treatment of skin concerns
▸How do Skin Peels work?
Peels and resurfacers (lighter peels) use acids and enzymes to exfoliate away layers of the skin to reveal fresher, clearer, more youthful looking skin. Ranging from superficial exfoliation to deeper treatment of problem skin, peels and resurfacers harness the power of naturally occurring acids to dissolve the outer layers of skin and treat a variety of skin concerns.
The safe but powerful blend of ingredients in skin peels work to visibly reduce the appearance of open pores, dissolve dead skin cells, target blemishes, acne and pigmentation, and visibly smooth fine lines and wrinkles.
▸What happens during treatment?
Our treatments always start with a skin analysis and consultation to establish the correct peel to treat your concern. Following a deep cleanser and appropriate skin preparation a solution is applied to the skin surface and absorbed, before releasing the active acid component, which then works from within the skin. Your aesthetician will assess the progress of this treatment and halt the activity of the solution with a neutraliser when the correct depth has been reached. The treatments will feel tingly and hot, but not unpleasant. All peel and resurfacer treatments are carried out by trained and experienced aestheticians to ensure a safe and effective outcome.
▸Which Skin Peels are offered at Nova?
Our Aestheticians use a range of peels and resurfacers, these include:
• ZO Stimmulator Peel – A great brightening, pre-party treatment for stimulation of collagen, exfoliation of dead skin for softer smoother skin.
• Dermaquest Pumpkin – Harnessing naturally occurring acids found in pumpkin pulp this treatment is ideal for lifting pigmentation, treating fine lines and brightening skin.
• Glycolic Acid – A naturally occurring deep penetrating acid, exfoliating skin and proving good overall revitalisation.
• Lactic Acid – A gentle and natural acid which leaves the skin brightened and refreshed.
• Peptide Vitality – A powerful anti-aging treatment, producing plump and glowing skin, using advanced peptides to fill out lines and stimulate collagen production.
• Salicylic Resurfacers and Peels – We utilise a range of varying strengths of salicyclic treatments to treat all degrees of acne and oily skin complaints, control skin inflammation, kill off bacteria and clear congestion.
• Jessners Peels – Ideal for acne suffers to clear congestion, remove bacteria and minimise pores.
• TCA Peel – An advanced treatment for removing upper layers to smooth away lines and kick start skin regeneration
▸What Preparation and Aftercare is required?
Preparation varies depending on the type and depth of peel required, along with your skin type. Some treatments may require prior homecare, however we do also have peel treatments available which require no prep and are suitable for most people.
The aftercare also depends greatly on the strength of peel used, and recommend SPF and hydration to get the best results and to protect your newly revealed skin. With many peels we expect some redness after treatment and some flaking and gentle shedding of the outer skin layer in the days following. After this process your skin will become noticeably softer and fresher looking.